Sunday, November 4, 2012

Honey Badger

We had a great time at the Honey Badger Challenge yesterday at CrossFit Native.  I really liked the format of this event.  We had a list of events we needed to complete in a 6 hour window, and we could go in any order that we wanted.  I loved not having to wait on my heat like a normal Crossfit event, and do the event that I was good at towards the beginning when I was fresh.  We had a good group of people competing and spectating.  Here is how the day unfolded.

First, we weighed ourselves and the weight of our 1RM's were used with how much we weighed.

The first WOD we decided to do was the shot put with a slamball.  We all did this event together, then separated after.

I warmed up  for a while then did a few of the 1RM.  We had 3 attempts at each lift.

I started with the Shoulder Press and got close to my 1RM.
135,145,155 (pr is 160)
I did the Snatch next and worked in with Michael Miller and Aaron O'Neil from Crossfit 405.
I started with 135, which is a weight I felt I would get on my first try.  I did 145 next and it felt pretty easy so I went up to 160 which would tie my PR.  I was able to power snatch that weight which is a surprise for me, because I usually have to drop under that.

Brice and I wanted to do the Basketball Burpee Shots at the same time so we went and signed up for that and rested for a little bit then decided to do some Deadlift.
I really didn't want to go too crazy on this because it is my weakest lift.  My Deadlift PR is 375 so I started with 355 and got that pretty easy.  I moved up to 365 and was barely able to budge it so I decided to stop at 355.  A new girl at our gym, Solange,  pulled 365.  So I have that going for me.  Brice set a PR on the Deadlift with a pull of 535.

The Burpee Basketball Wod was an event I was looking forward to.  This was a 5 Minute AMRAP where we had to do 2 Burpees and then shoot a basket from  approximately the free throw line.  Our score was the total shots made.  I started slow at first but got hot at about the 3 minute mark and made about 8 straight shots.  I ended with 14 makes (the same as Matt Chandler who won the event) and Brice had 4.  This was the only WOD I beat him on, but I beat him bad.

I decided to do the WOD "No Thank You" next which was an 10 Minute Amrap of 1 Burpee plus a Pull-up plus Knees to Elbow plus Toes to Bar.  I was really looking forward to this one so I did it while I was still fresh.  I got 42 reps and did not rip so I was pretty pleased with this.  Brice got 50 which I think was one of the best.

Brice and I ate and rested for a bit after that WOD and I decided to do my other two 1RM after lunch.

I did the Back Squat next with a couple of young bucks from McAlester and set a new PR.
I did 275 and 295 and decided to go for 310 which would be a 5 pound PR.  I got out of the hole strong and fought my way through the sticking point and stood up.  My goal has been 315 for a long time and I am almost there.

I did Clean and Jerk next and only got 215.  My 1RM is around 230, so it wasn't that great.  I started at 195 and then failed on my jerk at 215 on my second attempt.  I got 215 on my third attempt and was alright with that.

I did the 10 minute Dumbbell Burpee WOD next.  It was a Burpee plus a Thruster with whatever weight you decided to use.  I did 30 pound dumbbells and got 61 reps.  I should have gone a bit heavier on the dumbbells.

I did the 15 Minute Row WOD next.  The row was for calories and I got 220.  I was feeling pretty tired at this point so it wasn't very good.  That is all I have to say about that.  (Forrest Gump voice)

I did a good job of spacing my WODS out so I had about an hour of rest before the final WOD.

Final WOD was named "Native Gone Bad" which was the same format as "Fight Gone Bad" but with different movements.  We did 5 movements which consisted of: Land Mines, KettleBell Swings, Box Jumps, Slam Balls and Double Unders.  I mainly concentrated on the Box Jumps, Kettlebell Swings and Double Unders, and only got a few reps on the other movements because I used those as rest times.
Round 1: 155 Reps
Round 2: 169 Reps
Round 3: 149 Reps
Total: 473.
I made most of my reps on the double unders where I averaged about 100 per round.

That was my day and I felt pretty good about everything.  Koda had a pretty good showing on the Podium as well.

Rx'd Men
1st Matt Chandler
3rd Brice Collier

Rx'd Women
1st Gina Callaway
2nd Solange Eddy

Scaled Women
2nd Liz Hesse

We had 7 People from Koda compete and had 5 people on the Podium.  Not too shabby.

I don't know my final placing but I will let you know later.

Thanks Kirk for the fun time.

Muse Out!!


No comments:

Post a Comment