Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Red Dirt Part 3

I am going to go against the grain of my blog and talk about a few other people. Please don't be upset if I don't single you out but I was especially proud of a few people that competed in the Red Dirt this weekend. 

Koda as a whole had a pretty good showing. In the scaled male division we had the top four places and 6 of the top 10. In the Rxd male division (counting Koda Norman) we had 5 of the top 6 places. 

I want to start by talking about the 4th place finisher Jacob Schneider. Jacob has always been very strong that hasn't really worried to much about form per se.  Jacob had a pretty bad experience at the Fittest in OK earlier this year. He was on a team and had a little hit of trouble on the Knees to Elbows. He said he would never do a comp again and was pretty embarrassed. Instead of quitting he kept coming and started working on his weaknesses. He decided he wanted to do the Red Dirt and really went to work. We both felt like the wods were pretty good for him and we were really only worried about the last wod. Jacob is not the most flexible guy so the bar was tough for him to overhead squat 6 weeks ago. He really didn't think he would finish that wod when it came out. He worked on overhead squat pretty much every other day since the wods came out, And finished the last wod in 8th place at a time of 8:07. He was a little upset that he didnt make the podium but I think he was proud of how he trained up to the comp and how he did on game day. 

The best thing about Jacob is how he cheers for his friends when they are on the floor. Jacob will not let you rest in a workout while he is watching. He will yell at the top of his lungs untill you pick the bar back up. 

Next up I want to talk about Jerad Abbott.  Abbott has been with Koda since the beginning when in some 4:30 classes, it was just Jerad, Reid and I working out together.  The main thing I want to talk about is the rope climb, thruster and HSPU wod that the rxd guys had to do.  I was watching him go through all the thrusters unbroken and was just amazed at how good his form had gotten since those days in the beginning.  I could tell that he was doing good on the wod, so when his heat was over I went out on the floor to see how he did.  I said "great job man, your reps looked awesome". His judge said "easiest judging I have had all day, every rep was perfect". One of the first videos Ed made for us we had the camera on Abbott and his thruster were terrible. I never could really put it out because it was so bad. (Real talk).  All of Abbott's hard work really paid off last weekend and we were all so proud of his 3rd place finish. He also went unbroken on both sets of the 21 OVHS at 135 pounds on the last wod to make the podium. Which was pretty awesome. 

Last I want to talk about Phillip Gordon.  Phillip came in second on the final wod to get his 3rd place finish overall. He has also been working super hard over the last month to get ready for this competition.  Phillip comes in a lot around 3:00 to workout by himself before he goes home to take care of his son.  A lot of people didn't expect much from him because they never see him workout and he is a ginger. I knew he was going to do good so I wasn't surprised at all. What most people don't know about Phillip is that he used to weigh well over 300 pounds and now he is kicking butt in crossfit competitions.  Super proud of this guy and can't wait to see how much better he gets. 

Sorry I couldn't write about everyone, but know that I am happy that Koda has brought you all into my life. 

Enough of this sappy stuff. Back to writing about myself tomorrow. 

I guess Doonkeen likes to sit around and watch me come in second to him. 




1 comment: