Thursday, July 17, 2014

Battle of Benchmarks Day 2

Starting day 2, I was feeling pretty tired. I always feel like that until 3,2,1 go and then I don't feel tired anymore for some reason. Plus I was looking forward to doing "Jackie" with the 33 pound bar. 
Jackie is 
1000 meter Row
50 barbell thrusters (33)
30 pull-ups. 
I had a game plan going into it and I was ready
I wanted to keep my row pace between 1:45-1:50, and I was able to do that. Bob Cole was to my left and he got off his rower and I had about 100 meters left so I got into 1:35 range to finish it off. He had about a 10 thruster lead when I started.  I knew that we would both go unbroken on the thrusters and we both did. I had about 10 reps left when he finished and I saw him stop and get a drink of water and I knew I had a chance. I finished my last thruster and went straight to the bar.  I got in a good rhythm and saw him have to come off the bar a couple of times. I could hear Mai and Conor yelling at me to hurry and that I had a chance. I finished my set unbroken and finished 3 seconds before him to get 1st place on that workout. I finished with a time of 5:56 which was about 40 seconds faster than my PR with a 45 pound bar.  I told my judge right before I started if he would get someone to stand behind me on the pull-ups. I told him I wasn't coming off the bar unless I fell off.  I didn't fall off, and I really like my new Rogue gloves. 

Even though I had won the last 2 workouts I was still 4 points behind with one workout. With only 5 people going to the finals I would have to win and Bob would have to come in 5th for us to tie. I knew he wouldn't come in 5th so I told myself I was just going to take it easy on the last workout and not go to crazy. Well that didn't happen. They announced that the final wod would be the hero wod "DT". How they announced it was very awesome and inspiring. They brought a triple amputee War Hero out to announce the workout and I knew I was going to go nuts in the finals. I had to fight back some tears when he was speaking, thinking about how lucky we were to be able to do what we were doing that day because of people like him. 

DT
5 rounds
12 Deadlifts
9 hang power cleans
6 push jerks (had to be push jerks)
We used 115 pounds which I knew was a perfect weight for me. 

Brice and I immediately made our game plan as we were walking to warm up and knew we were going to do good.

They had Bob and I side by side again and right before we started I turned around to face him so I could see how fast he was going. I have done this workout before and I knew the first round meant zero. This is a grip smoker so I just paced myself from the beginning. I have a fast way of doing hang power cleans that I have been practicing for awhile and I was excited to try it out. I took my breaks after the deadlifts every round and went unbroken on the cleans and push jerks to pick up a lot of time.  He started the last set a few reps in front of me but I was able to catch and pass him on the cleans and won the final workout with a time of 4:32. I was excited to win that final workout and finish the weekend off strong. Bob was the better crossfitter this weekend and I really enjoyed going head to head with him for the first time.  I hope to go against him a few more times in these Master's events. 

Here is the final workout

I like this pic that Crossfit Kairos got of me at the event. 


My next post will be about some good moments from the event from our other Koda Competitors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment