Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Battle of the Benchmarks Day 1

I couldn't decide if I was excited for this event or not. I know how bad I feel after doing Benchmark workouts and doing 6 in two days didn't sound like a lot of fun. Once the workouts came out I saw that they were scaled to a very doable level so I got a little more excited. 

7 days going into the event I had a good day of training and a bad day of training. I did the Fran workout with the 80 pound weight for thrusters and went unbroken with a time of 2:46. The next day of training I did the Diane workout and had a time of 2:09 (9 seconds slower than the first time I tried it). I wanted to do the Karen floater wod because we got to use a 14 pound ball. A few of us did it together and I quit after 85 reps. I don't quit workouts so this was weird that I let myself stop on my last training day before the event. I take three full days off before a 2 day event and 2 full days off before a 1 day event. I mean complete days off. No active recovery. No rowing. Nothing!!  I have found that this works best for my 40 year old body. I didn't let that last day of bad training affect the way I felt about how I would do. I didn't freak out and do the workouts again. I visualized doing good instead of worrying about that one bad day.  I also eat a lot those three days and not particularly clean either (usually a few meals of pasta).  

I was second in the North Central Region in the Open this year to a man from Tulsa named Bob Cole and he was at this event. So I was excited to go against him. 

Day 1

WOD 1
Diane. 30 reps of ground to overhead at 115 pounds. I had a feeling Bob would beat me on this workout (he is a big dude) so I wanted to come in second for sure.  I practiced this one time and got a time of 1:57 which I was pleased with. I did 15 reps and broke it up after that. On this day I had a different plan. Don't stop. I had him in front of me so I could see where he was at. I did 27 straight touch and go reps without stopping and I looked up and he was done. I said "well shit". I dropped it after that and finished it on out. I had a time of 1:43 and was really pleased with that. I got second and was beat by a better man on that workout. I know that was all I had. 

I did the Floater workout a few about 1.5 hours later. It was Karen (150 wallballs with 14 pound ball).  I watched a few of my members go before me on this and one did 150 straight. I knew I couldn't do that. I had sort of a plan. 50,40 and break up reps how I felt after that. Again Bob was in front on me so I could tell what was going on. 
I felt good from the beginning in this one. I did 50 straight and rested as planned. I did 40 and felt alright still. I did 30 and was getting a bit tired in the shoulders. So on the last 30 I did something a little different. I tried to catch the ball at the bottom of squat to save just a little time and to make it an "air squat" instead on a weighted squat. I really tried to go fast on the last 30 and actually was talking to myself to speed up and not slow down.  Those last 30 felt faster than first 30 and I got a time of 4:53. My goal was under 5:30 so once again I was really pleased with that.  That wasn't good enough. With 10 reps to go I saw Bob finish and again I said "well shit".  So I know I have my work cut out for me for sure. 

WOD 3
Diane (21-15-9 deadlifts with 185 and push-ups). This event was the one that I was worried about. I am not a very fast push upperer. I was really hoping that we would have had a scaled handstand push-up and not just push-ups so I had to try and go crazy on this one. The best I did in practice was 2:00 and I knew I had to do better. I went as fast as I could on the deadlifts the whole time and as fast as I could on the push-ups. This was a sprint and I transitioned as fast as I could. I finished with a time of 1:48 and felt good about that until I saw I came in 4th and knew my chance of winning was pretty much over.  I knew I needed to win the next three workouts to have a chance. I also knew two of them had pull-ups so I had a chance. 

WOD 4
Fran (21-15-9 of thrusters with 85 pounds and pull-ups). 

I had to go unbroken to have a chance so I paced the thrusters the first round and tried to go fast on the pull-ups. I saw a few people finished the first set of thrusters before me, but I caught up with them on pull-ups. Second set of thrusters I sped up some but was still behind 2 people going into pull-ups.  I did those 15 pull-ups fast and caught up again. I rushed through last set of thrusters and jumped straight to bar. I had done a few reps and I heard Conor yell "hurry you have a chance" which meant he broke up his last set of pull-ups. I was able to go unbroken on last set and beat Bob by one second with my time of 2:36. It felt good to get a win and I had some momentum to build on for day 2. 

I did something before each workout in the corral areas that I hadn't really done before. I would go into the Yoga position "child's pose" and visual the workouts and the movements. I really felt myself go into a good state of mind before every event and that really helped. 

Here is the Fran Video

Here is a shot of some of our group that competed.










No comments:

Post a Comment